Dementia and Alzheimer’s support services to support yourself and family during a difficult time
Dementia is used to describe a range of progressive disorders that affect the brain. There are a wide range of different types of dementia where Alzheimer’s disease is the most common. A diagnosis of dementia can be difficult for yourself and those around you in a wide variety of ways. This can have an impact physically, emotionally and in a variety of practical situations. There are support services to help and support your family and friends in a number of ways including carer’s support.
If your health is affected by dementia, you can get support from both experts and support groups within your local community. There are a wide variety of organisations locally and nationally offering a significant amount of support, advice and information. First Contact Plus works with our partner the Alzheimer’s Society who are based in Leicester and Leicestershire who provide free support within your local area (see ‘what’s in my area’ for further information).
Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.
What's in My Area:
- Admiral Nurses The specialist dementia support that families need.
- Age UK Dementia Carers Support Practical and emotional support to unpaid carers and provide opportunities for respite from caring duties.
- Age UK Dementia Support There may be ways you can receive help and support, either now or in the future.
- Alzheimer’s disease International Alzheimer's Disease International (ADI) believes that the key to winning the fight against dementia lies in a unique combination of...
- Care Choices Dementia Friendly Guide 2019 A practical guide to living with dementia in Leicester, Leicestershire & Rutland.
- DAA Dementia Action Alliance We are the alliance for organisations across England to connect, share best practice and take action on dementia.
- Dementia Friends Dementia Friends is about learning more about dementia and the small ways you can help. From telling friends about Dementia...
- Group treatment for people with mild to moderate dementia Maintenance Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (MCST) is an evidence based group treatment for people with mild to moderate dementia.
- LCC Get Help to Stay Independent Services that can help you to stay independent in your own home.
- Leicestershire Police – Herbert Protocol Useful information which could be used in the event of a vulnerable person going missing.
- Message in a Bottle Lions Message in a Bottle is a simple idea enabling people to keep their personal and medical details on a...
- Message in a Bottle Scheme Schemes to support elderly and vulnerable adopted by county council
- NHS Dementia Guide If you or someone you know is worried about becoming increasingly forgetful, particularly if they're older than 65, you should...
- Young Dementia UK YoungDementia UK is a charity that exists for one reason - to help people whose lives are affected by young...