Improve your physical health and wellbeing through local physical activities
Being physically active can help prevent serious illnesses, and lead to a longer, happier life. According to NHS choices: “It can reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50% and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.”
Regular physical activity can promote not only good physical health; but has also shown to lower stress levels and anxiety and generally increase a sense of wellbeing. The recommended amount of exercise each week for 19-64 year olds is 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise; such as fast walking or cycling.
You can break down the exercise into 30 minutes 5 days a week, if this is more manageable for you. It is also important to include muscle strengthening exercises; as these are necessary for building and maintaining strong bones, regulating our blood pressure and blood sugar, to help all daily movement and maintain a healthy weight.
At First Contact Plus we work with your local district PADO (physical activity development officer) who can offer information and advice on activities, sports and exercise. You can also ask you GP to refer you to the Exercise Referral Scheme. The Scheme offers people who do little or no activity or who have a condition a chance to participate in physical activity at a reduced cost. A trained instructor at your local leisure centre or council run gym can give guidance and advice on how to increase activity levels by working out a programme with you.
Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.
What's in My Area:
- Exercise Referral Leaflet The Excercise Referral scheme is a programme for adults with a medical condition.
- Get running with couch to 5K
- Health and Wellbeing Directory of Services – Hinckley and Bosworth This Directory provides a variety of information about services that aimto improve quality of life, from counselling to support groups...
- Healthy Weight Calculator (BMI) A regular routine of exercise can increase your BMI, improving your health and fitness
- Leicestershire and Rutland Sport Activity Finder Postcode search facility to find activity classes and sports clubs.
- NHS Health Check Age 40-74? Find out about our FREE NHS Health Check
- Physically Active Guidelines for Adults
- Understanding Arthritis and Nutrition This booklet will explore the link between nutrition and Arthritis/MSK conditions, as well as showing how important a healthy lifestyle...