Support available for maintaining healthy weight
There are many ways that we can prepare our lives to make the shift towards losing weight. The right information is important in helping ourselves choose the right foods, drinks, exercise and general nutrition. To stay in good health, it is important to maintain a healthy weight. Eating a balanced diet with a variety of foods including fruit and vegetables will help us to look and feel our best.
Staying around a healthy weight has lots of benefits: It reduces your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, developing some forms of cancer, helps ease joint and back pain, and increases energy levels. A healthy weight increases your confidence and self-esteem too. Here are some things to bear in mind when wanting to improve and maintain a healthy diet:
- Eat the correct amount of food for how active you are (for more details please see physically active guidelines for adults – in useful resources below )
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables
- Make your diet as varied as possible; eating a range of foods helps give your body the nutrients it needs
- Try and keep salt, saturated fat and sugar to a minimum. Too much of these can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke and heart disease.
- Stay hydrated: it is important to drink between 1.6 and 2 litres of fluid every day; try and choose drinks with no added sugar –water is the best.
The main way a person’s health in relation to their weight can be worked out is body mass index (BMI). BMI is a measure of whether you’re a healthy weight for your height. You can use the BMI healthy weight calculator to work out your score –this can be found in useful resources -below.
Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.
What's in My Area:
- 5 A DAY Tips
- Hazardous Waist Small changes in what you eat and how much exercise you take can make a real difference to how you...
- Health and Wellbeing Directory of Services – Hinckley and Bosworth This Directory provides a variety of information about services that aimto improve quality of life, from counselling to support groups...
- Healthy Weight Calculator (BMI) A regular routine of exercise can increase your BMI, improving your health and fitness
- Lose Weight
- Physically Active Guidelines for Adults
- Understanding Arthritis and Nutrition This booklet will explore the link between nutrition and Arthritis/MSK conditions, as well as showing how important a healthy lifestyle...
Thank you for all your help and support with healthy weight and healthy eating